" Addie Education - Teacher Talk: The 2012 Summer Olympics Activities

Sunday, July 1, 2012

The 2012 Summer Olympics Activities

I love the Olympics.... I mean I really LOVE them! I love the way so many nations of the world come together for sport and celebration. I love watching athletes overcome challenges to put their best foot forward while representing their country. I love what the Winter Olympics did for my hometown in 2010 - the feeling in Vancouver was unlike any I've ever felt before and the pure joy of the event will live with me forever.  Lastly, I love the values that the Olympics can teach students... work hard, play nice, the honor of representing one's country, and the importance of taking care of yourself physically and mentally.


I really wish (sounds weird, I know...) that I was teaching during the Summer Olympics as there are so many great teaching opportunities  that can cover so many subject areas and grade levels.


Here are a few fun suggestions for those of you teaching this summer (or even for those of you who are back to school in August)
  • Follow an athlete from your hometown, state or province.  See what kind of background information you can find on them and then track their progress at the Games.
  • Create a new Olympic sport and test out the activity with your classmates / students.
  • Keep track of the medal count and work out the percentage of gold, silver and bronze that your country wins. Create a poster to track the medal count.
  • Have students "adopt" an athlete from another country - find out their story and a little bit about their country and then share with the class.
  • "Adopt" another country to cheer for and find out as much as you can about their athletes.  
  • Make a medal count prediction and award the person who came closest. 
  • Research London, England and find out what they did to prepare for the Games. 
  • Research the history of the Olympics and have students present some of the main ideas to the class. 
  • Have your own Olympic games - but keep it light and fun and combine athletic events with math and literacy events. 
  • I'm sure that there are 100s more engaging activities that you can do to highlight the Olympics.  Share your favorite below!
Here's a FUN FREEBIE for you to use with students that involves them pretending to attend the Olympics and then writing a "postcard" and sending it home.  Click the image below to download a copy of the activity - template and extension ideas included!


Hope you're all having a fantastic summer! Let the Games begin!

Addie
Follow for Freebies

Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the suggestions!! I will be back in school for the Olympics so I want to do something in my class with them.

    April
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little jealous! Have fun with your students.

      Delete
  2. Hi Addie,
    I was very excited to become your 100th follower! Happy blogging!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teresa - How cool are you to be my 100th!?! Thanks for checking out my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Addie, I'm right there with you! I have been an Olympic fan all my life. Thanks for sharing.. :)

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  5. Addie, I'm right there with you! I have been an Olympic fan all my life. Thanks for sharing.. :)

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your postcard idea. Even though I teach 2nd grade, I can definitely do something like this for my little ones.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Denise
    2nd Grade Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise - I'll bet your little second graders will have fun watching the Olympics!

      Delete
  7. Love it! I also wish I were teaching during the Olmypics. (But not enough to volunteer for summer school.) ;-)

    Corrina
    Mrs. Allen’s 5th Grade Files

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Corrina - I'm currently enjoying my first entire summer off! I normally teach summer school and although it'd be fun with the Olympics... I think I'll enjoy my vacation a little more!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for this! I teach in a year-round school and DO actually teach during the summer Olympics! :)

    Casey
    Second Grade Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun during the Olympics with your students!

      Addie

      Delete
  9. Love your blog! You have so many great ideas!

    I have given you an award...come on over and check it out!

    Jessica
    The Polka-dotted Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! So kind of you to include me.

      Delete
  10. Summer olympics 2012 schedule and results here - Summer Olympics 2012 Schedule

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post and freebie! :) Hope all is well, Addie!
    Ann Marie Smith @ Innovative Connections

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover