Back To School Fun With Sticky Notes



The new school year is an exciting but also slightly nerve-wracking time of the year for both students and teachers.  I know I always have the dreaded "Nightmare Before School Starts" that usually involves me standing in front of a classroom full of chaos!



I like to start off my first class with students by introducing myself as more than "just a teacher".  I want students to know that I have a life beyond the classroom - I'm a mountain biker, a snowboarder, a hiker, a wife, a dog owner, a traveller, a reader... it's amazing how many kids I can connect with over the activities I participate in!  Finding a connection with kids is so important to me and it's done wonders over the years to build great rapport with my students.  I have a fun "Back to School Survey" I give students to get to know them a little bit better and I encourage them to share their answers with each other.  Download a FREE copy of the survey from my TpT Store!

Sticky Notes can also be a powerful tool for getting to know students and creating an open and sharing classroom.  I have piles on my desk and I want students to get used to the idea of sharing ideas on the board so I do a few activities in the first few days with sticky notes.  When students are asked questions and then told they can post their answers anonymously on the board they are more likely to be very forthcoming with their answers.

  • ask students to write down two things they're excited about and one thing they're nervous about in regards to your class - post them on the board and then discuss with the class
  • ask a fun question - "If you could perform with any band in world who would it be?" or "If you were a car, what would you be?" and share their answers they've posted on the board
  • ask students for advice as you start off the year - "Write down two things that would make this class work really well for you."  OR "Great teachers __________________"
  • One of the subjects I teach is Geography so to get kids thinking about my subject area I'll ask them to write down their favorite city, their dream vacation destination, the closest volcano to our school, list two environmental concerns...
  • When I teach English, I ask students to write down their favorite book, their favorite character, what fictional city they'd love to visit, the book character they're most like....
  • The students love the see what everyone else has come up with, but they also love the fact that it's anonymous so they're not self-conscious about writing down an answer.


Hope you have a smooth transition into your classroom this  
new school year!

Addie

13 comments

  1. I love this idea! Thanks for sharing :)

    Teaching and Tech

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute idea! Love this post, Addie!!! You kick butt!
    I have a thing for stickies!!! In fact, the hubs and I both have a very territorial thing for stickies and felt tip pens!!! ;) Have a great Tuesday, dearest~
    Ann Marie @ Innovative Connections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just love walking into an office supply store - it's like teacher candy!!

      Have a good back to school day!!

      Addie

      Delete
  3. Love the survey AND the sticky note idea! :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Class room environment plays a major role in student life. Hence i would like to use your advice for creating caring class rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the survey you posted earlier and this idea is great too! I know my gifted students would really enjoy the anonymous part of the post it notes! I'm also glad to find another Canadian blogger...come and visit me at my blog if you get a chance. I just started my blog at the end of the school year but I am inspired by yours and many others I have visited this summer!
    Ms. M from @teachingisagift.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! I found your blog through your TpT shop. I am your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peanut Gallery - thanks for visiting! Glad to have you as a follower!

      Delete
  7. Love this idea! I've been looking for something different to do on the first day instead of my usual routine of going over the syllabus. Thanks for sharing!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the sticky note idea! I use sticky notes a lot in my class too!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top