Classroom Ipad Rules

I was thrilled last year to be given a class set of ipads!! I can't believe what a difference they've made for my teaching!  However, I knew that before I could hand them out to my high-school students I'd have to develop a list of rules about their use and a system to keep track of them.

My new students are very excited about using the ipads and can't wait to get their hands on one next week.  However, before I let them loose I need to go over some of the basic rules for their use.  I spend some time talking about how lucky we are to have them (one of only 2 classrooms at my school with access to ipads) and that using them is a privilege.  Luckily the students really seem to pick up on this and respond well to the rules that I've established for their use.

The first day I allow the students on the ipads I go over the rules that I have posted in the classroom.   We spend some time talking about why the rules are in place and the importance of following them. And we talk about consequences... which are really very simple in my class... you break a rule, you lose the ipad for the day.  You break a rule twice and you lose the right to an ipad for a month.  Last year... I only had one student break a rule twice. (He somehow managed to put a lock on the ipad that only he could undo. Sooo frustrating!!)




After talking about the rules... I let the students just play!  They love it! They take pictures, they distort the pictures, they watch videos, they web surf and they giggle! I let them get the giggly "oh my goodness these ipads are soo cool, I can't believe we get to use them"... giggles out of their system. It seems to work!  The second time we use them... it's all business.

Luckily, the settings on an ipad can be locked down very well. My students cannot download programs, change settings, add / delete an app or do anything too terrible to them.  Frustratingly, they can change the language (I once opened an ipad to see Japanese!) and change the wallpaper settings.  Minor inconveniences that I can ask the students to fix... they do it once, get caught and never do it again!  (Having a good sign-out system means I know who changed things!)

What are some systems you have in place for using ipads or technology in your classroom?? Have I missed something hugely important?? Would love to hear what some of you do? 

To read more about why I love my ipads check out this previous blog post.  Stay tuned for more posts this year too!  I plan to write about some of my favorite apps and uses for the ipads.

Thanks!
Addie

6 comments

  1. Wow! That is fantastic! The students really are privileged to be able to use the iPads as they learn. You are right to emphasize the importance of their cooperation and treatment of the equipment. It teaches them responsibility and accountability.

    I am a huge believer in integrating technology and education. I was curious.. would you be able to elaborate on how you plan to use iPads in the classroom? How do you think this will affect your lessons and what students take away from the lesson? What technology (if any) did you use in the classroom prior to the iPads?

    Thanks in advance! Thanks for sharing
    -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - thanks for the comment! I love having access to this technology - I've hardly used a textbook since getting them. I teach Earth Science and Geography and the value in having students look at videos, watch animations, look up current events etc. is invaluable! Prior to ipads I'd have to rely on getting into a computer lab which wasn't always possible.

      My students are totally engaged when they're on the ipads - it's funny, I thought the novelty might wear off, but they were just as excited 6 months later!

      Here's a blog post I wrote when I first got them. My Classroom Ipads

      Stay tuned for more blog posts about the ipads and how I'm using them in my class.

      Addie

      Delete
  2. Oh so jealous!!! What I could do with a class set of iPads. I bought my own last year to bring into the classroom, but with only one, we're limited to putting it under the document camera to use any of the apps (they still love it though). I'm supposed to be getting half a class set of netbooks this year - I'll take whatever technology I can get!

    Jen
    Runde's Room

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen - good luck with the netbooks - I think they'll be great to have too! I managed to get some funding from my PAC which allowed me to get the ipads. Perhaps you could add an ipad or two in the future!

      Addie

      Delete
  3. Hi Addie! I loved this post because we will be getting iPads next year (so far off!) and I'll definitely be needing some management techniques for their use!
    I found your blog via the TBTS Grade 3-6 Cross Promotion list and am your newest follower.
    Amber @ The Teacher Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck getting your ipads! They really are awesome! I'm heading over to check out your blog.

      Addie

      Delete

Back to Top